SAFE in Sag Harbor depends on community members, from all walks of life, to be involved in shaping decisions made by teens, including teens themselves. Below are just a few steps we can take to ensure tweens and teens make the right choices.
You, and only you, are the captain of your life's journey. The course you choose is completely up to you but there are a few things you can do that will ensure a smooth voyage.
- Be proud of making healthy choices.
- Model good behavior for your peers.
- Understand the consequences of your choices.
- Talk to a trusted adult if you're unsure about a choice.
It starts here. Adults are the number one influencer of the choices adolescents will make, whether good or bad. Here are ways to help to tip the scale toward good choices:
- Be a good role model.
- Demonstrate positive ways to cope with stress.
- Talk to your kids.
- Praise teens when you see them engaging in positive actions.
Photo: Michael Heller/The Sag Harbor Express